Miss. investigator killed serving warrant on pedophile
Two other officers were injured, one of whom returned fire and killed the suspect
Duty Death: Mike Walters - [Pearl, Mississippi]
By PoliceOne Staff
PEARL, Miss. — A police investigator was killed Tuesday in a shootout with a suspect, officials said.
Senior Investigator Mike Walters was shot in the head as he and other detectives tried to serve warrants on a suspect wanted for sexual battery of a minor and possession of child pornography.
Upon entering an apartment in Pearl, police located a man hiding in a bathtub who began to resist arrest, according to The Officer Down Memorial Page.
Officers used a TASER against the subject, who opened fire on the officers and struck Walters in the face. Another officer returned fire and killed the man.
A helicopter airlifted Walters and two other injured officers to the University of Mississippi Medical Center, but Walters was declared dead, The Clarion Ledger reports.
Paying tribute to the fallen officer, Mayor Brad Rogers told a news conference,"It's a job most of us probably wouldn't do."
The two officers injured in the incident are reportedly in stable condition.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman