Texas cop killed en route to fire scene
A tractor trailer driving the opposite way crossed lanes and hit the patrol car
Duty Death: Michael Smith - [Rankin, Texas]
By PoliceOne Staff
RANKIN, Texas — An Upton County Sheriff's Deputy was killed in a crash Friday while traveling to assist firefighters at the scene of a fire.
A tractor trailer driving the opposite way crossed lanes just before 7:00 a.m. and hit the patrol car of Deputy Michael Smith, killing him, according to The Officer Down Memorial Page.
Smith, 44, was a 2 1/2 year police veteran.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman