Suspect held in fatal shooting of Denver officer
A female police officer was shot and killed at a city park where families had gathered for a free weekly jazz concert
Duty Death: Celena Hollis - [Denver, Colorado]
DENVER — Denver police say a 21-year-old man has been arrested in the shooting death of a policewoman at a city park.
Police Chief Robert White said Monday that Rollen Oliver was arrested on suspicion of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 32-year-old Officer Celena Hollis on Sunday.
Hollis was a single mother.
Police say she was trying to break up a fight when she was shot in the head. She was in uniform and working off-duty.
White says investigators don't believe the shots were aimed at Hollis, but they're not sure.
Earlier, police said they arrested one man on a weapons charge but didn't believe he was involved in the officer's shooting. It wasn't immediately clear if that was Oliver or someone else.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Women Officers
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house