NC deputy, suspect killed in shootout
A suspect opened fire on two deputies when they arrived at a home
Duty Death: William Mast - [Watauga County, North Carolina]
DEEP GAP, N.C. — A sheriff’s deputy died after he was shot by a suspect early Thursday in Watauga County.
Deputy William Mast Jr. was fatally shot by the suspect after responding to a call in Deep Gap around 1 a.m., according to Sheriff Len Hagaman.
The suspect opened fire on Mast and another deputy when they arrived at the home on Hardin Road, Hagaman said.
The other deputy, who has not been publicly identified, immediately returned fire, fatally shooting the suspect in return, Hagaman said.
“It is a sad day for Watauga County Sheriff’s Office and the Watauga County community as Officer Mast was a friend and asset to our force and to his community,” Hagaman said.
Reprinted with permission from MyFox8.com
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests