Texas cop killed by alleged drunk driver
Suspect had been convicted of DUI before in a separate case
Duty Death: Josh Williams - [Waxahachie, Texas]
By PoliceOne Staff
WAXAHACHIE, Texas — An officer died following a two-vehicle crash involving a suspected drunk driver.
Waxahachie officer Josh Williams was on his way to a disturbance call Saturday when an SUV driving without headlights struck his vehicle in the passenger side door, The Fort Worth Star Telegram reported.
Williams was transported to Baylor Medical Center, where staff pronounced him dead. He was a 17-year police veteran.
Dylyn Richards was in custody Saturday facing charges of intoxicated manslaughter, according to KHOU. He had been convicted of DUI in a separate case in 2009.
"It's a senseless waste to have a DWI driver to attack you like this when you are in the line of duty, serving the public and your community," Williams' father-in-law said. "It's just devastating."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman