Fla. motor officer dies following collision
The driver of the Mercedes was not initially charged
Duty Death: Chris Schaub - [Broward County, Florida]
By PoliceOne Staff
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. — Deputy Sheriff Chris Schaub of the Broward County Sheriff's Office was killed shortly after his motorcycle collided with a Mercedes-Benz in an intersection.
Deputy Schaub had been flown by helicopter to the nearby Broward Health Medical Center where he succumbed to his injuries approximately four hours after the incident.
According to the Sun Sentinel, the driver of the Mercedes was 63-year-old Mirtha Odell, who was treated at a hospital and had not been charged as of Thursday night.
Deputy Schaub had served with the Broward County Sheriff's Office for 22 years, according to ODMP.org. He is survived by his son and daughter.
His son reportedly also serves as a deputy with the agency.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court