Texas officer dies during physical training
Highway Patrol officer suffered a fatal heart attack
Duty Death: Paul Hernandez - [Universal City, Texas]
By PoliceOne Staff
AUSTIN, Texas — A Texas Highway Patrol officer has died in the line of duty while training for physical readiness, according to DPS officials.
Sgt. Paul Hernandez, who was stationed in Universal City, died Thursday at age 67 during testing conducted at the department's regional office in San Antonio. According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, he suffered a fatal heart attack.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at the First Rowlett United Methodist Church, KSAT.com reported. Hernandez's family has requested donations to The American Heart Association in lieu of flowers.
Hernandez served as a law enforcement officer for 35 years.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy