Texas officer dies during physical training
Highway Patrol officer suffered a fatal heart attack
Duty Death: Paul Hernandez - [Universal City, Texas]
By PoliceOne Staff
AUSTIN, Texas — A Texas Highway Patrol officer has died in the line of duty while training for physical readiness, according to DPS officials.
Sgt. Paul Hernandez, who was stationed in Universal City, died Thursday at age 67 during testing conducted at the department's regional office in San Antonio. According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, he suffered a fatal heart attack.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at the First Rowlett United Methodist Church, KSAT.com reported. Hernandez's family has requested donations to The American Heart Association in lieu of flowers.
Hernandez served as a law enforcement officer for 35 years.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court