NY officer killed at crash scene
Joseph Olivieri left his vehicle to investigate a four-car crash on the Long Island Expressway when he was struck by a vehicle around 5 a.m
Duty Death: Joseph Olivieri - [North Hills, New York]
By PoliceOne Staff
NORTH HILLS, N.Y. — A Nassau County highway patrol officer was struck and killed while responding to a multi-vehicle crash Thursday morning.
Joseph Olivieri left his vehicle to investigate the four-car crash on the Long Island Expresway when he was struck by a vehicle around 5 a.m police officials said at a news conference.
"Today is a very sad day for the people of Nassau County and for the Nassau County Police Department," Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano said according to Newsday.com. "Joseph Olivieri gave his life early this morning."
Olivieri, 43, had parked his cruiser with its lights flashing in the middle lane, police said, and was helping a driver from a vehicle when he was hit by a 2002 Escalade.
Olivieri, a father of two and a 13-year Nassau County veteran, was rushed to North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset where he was pronounced dead.
No arrests have been made and the accident is under investigation.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman