Va. deputy succumbs to crash injuries
Duty Death: Billy Grimsley - [Portsmouth, Virginia]
By PoliceOne Staff
PORTSMOUTH, Va. — A deputy sheriff died of a blood clot Sunday that had developed in the wake of an on-duty motorcycle accident in December.
After representing his agency in the Poquoson Christmas Parade, Billy Grimsley was returning to Portsmouth December 7 when he was thrown from his department motorcycle, suffering a broken ankle as a result.
Lee Cherry, with the Portsmouth Sheriff’s Office, told WAVA-TV that Grimsley’s wife went out for Super Bowl snacks Sunday when he called to say he couldn’t breathe.
Grimsley was then taken to the hospital, where he passed away.
Grimsley had served with the Portsmouth Sheriff's Office for more than 15 years as both an auxiliary deputy and full time deputy, according to ODMP.
He is survived by his wife, daughter, son, sister, and three brothers.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform