Officer killed in Dorner ambush identified
Police withheld Officer Michael Crain's name for 3 days after the attack, fearing that his family would be targeted by the suspected gunman
Duty Death: Michael Crain - [Riverside, California]
By Janet Zimmerman
The Press Enterprise
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — The Riverside police officer who was gunned down last week while on patrol was identified Sunday as Michael Crain, a decorated Marine who leaves behind a wife and two young children.
Crain was described by a former patrol partner as a family man who could easily calm a situation on the job by the way he spoke to people. He was one of the department's finest officers and was "everybody's friend," Patrolman Joshua Ontko said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Officer killed in Dorner ambush identified
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms