Officer killed in Dorner ambush identified
Police withheld Officer Michael Crain's name for 3 days after the attack, fearing that his family would be targeted by the suspected gunman
Duty Death: Michael Crain - [Riverside, California]
By Janet Zimmerman
The Press Enterprise
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — The Riverside police officer who was gunned down last week while on patrol was identified Sunday as Michael Crain, a decorated Marine who leaves behind a wife and two young children.
Crain was described by a former patrol partner as a family man who could easily calm a situation on the job by the way he spoke to people. He was one of the department's finest officers and was "everybody's friend," Patrolman Joshua Ontko said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Officer killed in Dorner ambush identified
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police