Texas officer shuts down highway to save dog
The officer saw the small dog wandering into a busy highway and jumped into action to save him
LA PORTE, Texas — A police officer in La Porte, Texas shut down a highway to save a small dog. Officer Kyle Jones is being called a hero for taking time to rescue Cujo the rat terrier.
Cujo wandered out of is yard on Monday morning. His owners, the Zapalac family, realized he was missing and immediately began searching for their beloved pet. Friends and family helped the Zapalacs search throughout the neighborhood, but they could not find him anywhere. When it started to rain they were especially worried. Cujo “hates water.”
“He’s not going to make it if I don’t do something,” said Jones. “When I saw it and saw the size of it, I immediately hit my lights and shut all the lanes off. You know how Chihuahuas are. You’re not really sure if you can trust ‘em or not. But he kind of looked at me and said, ‘Man, I’m glad you’re here.’ He let me pick him right up. Stuck him in the back seat of the patrol car.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house