Video: Iowa officer pulls unconscious driver from flames
Officer Zac McDowell wasn't injured Sunday night when he saved 18-year-old Ian Waseskuk, who was doing doughnuts when he hit an AC unit
URBANDALE, Iowa — An Iowa police officer has rescued an unconscious driver by pulling him from his burning car.
Urbandale police spokesman Randy Peterson said Tuesday that Officer Zac McDowell wasn't injured Sunday night when he saved 18-year-old Ian Waseskuk. The officer's dashboard camera shows McDowell opening the car's passenger door, reaching in and grabbing Waseskuk to pull him away from the flames.
Police say Waseskuk was driving in circles, doing "doughnuts," in a church parking lot across from his home in suburban Des Moines when his car hit an air conditioning unit.
Peterson says Waseskuk will be charged with misdemeanor reckless driving when he leaves Mercy Hospital in Des Moines. Hospital spokesman Gregg Lagan says Waseskuk is in fair but stable condition.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman