Fla. cop saves child from burning home
The officer found a way back into the home once the family realized the child was still inside
By PoliceOne Staff
DELTONA, Fla. — An officer pulled a 1-year-old girl to safety from her family’s burning home Tuesday morning.
Family members escaped the blaze only to realize their niece had been left in the home. Deputies tried to enter through a kitchen window, but were overwhelmed by smoke, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Deputy Byron Poteralski broke a window in the back of the house, and found the child in her playpen, according to sheriff’s office spokesman Brandon Haught.
Officer Poteralski passed the child to a firefighter through a window, and both escaped the blazing house unharmed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman