Video: Iowa cop pulls over SUV, delivers baby
He assisted in the final stages of the delivery and wrapped the child in a blanket before escorting the family to a hospital
IOWA CITY, Iowa — An Iowa City police officer pulled over a speeding SUV — then helped the driver and his passenger deliver a baby.
When Officer Kevin Wolfe stopped the vehicle Sunday night, the driver jumped out and yelled, "Sir, we're delivering a baby right here, right now!"
Wolfe tells Cedar Rapids TV station KCRG that by the time he reached the passenger door of the SUV, the baby's head and arms were already out. He assisted in the final stages of the delivery and wrapped the child in a blanket before escorting the family to a hospital.
The episode was captured by Wolfe's dashboard camera.
Police spokeswoman Vicki Lalla says Wolfe didn't issue a speeding ticket and so did not take down the parents' names.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman