Task force director dies on foot pursuit
Officer Larry Johnson, 65, was pursuing a parolee who ran from authorities when he collapsed
Duty Death: Larry Johnson - [Russellville , Arkansas]
End of Service: 03/26/2013
By PoliceOne staff
CLARKSVILLE, Ark. — The 5th Judicial District Drug Task Force Director died after collapsing during a foot pursuit on Tuesday,
Larry Johnson, 65, was pursuing a parolee who ran from authorities into a wooded area, according to ABC 40-29.
"We really don't know for sure what happened," Johnson County Coroner Todd McAteer told Arkansas Online. "He's been sent to the Medical Examiner's office in Little Rock. We're thinking probably a heart attack but not for sure."
Clarksville Police Department Chief Greg Donaldson wrote on the department’s Facebook page, “Larry was a friend, confidante, and brother in blue who gave his life protecting and serving the citizens of Clarksville, Johnson County, and the State of Arkansas.
“As a community, I ask you to wrap your arms around all of your law enforcement professionals and the Johnson family in the coming days and say a prayer for us as we struggle to come to terms with our loss."
- Suspect Pursuit
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend