Ark. officer dies during SWAT training
The officer complained of shortness of breath, then collapsed
Duty Death: Hans Fifer - [Faulkner County, Arkansas]
End of Service: 04/08/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A sheriff’s deputy died Monday morning when he collapsed suddenly during SWAT training.
After complaining of shortness of breath, Hans Fifer, 32, was given oxygen by EMS and then collapsed, according to Arkansas Online. EMTs performed CPR until an ambulance arrived and brought him to a nearby hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
"We think there may have been some underlying health issues that we weren't aware of and maybe Hans wasn't even aware of," Faulkner County sheriff Andy Shock said.
Fifer was only with the department for 3 months, and served as volunteer reserve deputy and as an officer with the Cabot Police before joining Faulkner County, according to the article.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer