Ga. agency’s only officer dies of heart attack
Chief Anthony Barfield, 47, began having difficulty breathing on duty and died soon after
Duty Death: Anthony Barfield - [Barwick, Georgia]
End of Service: 04/09/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
BARWICK, Ga. — The chief of police — and only law enforcement officer with the Barwick agency — died Thursday from a heart attack while at the scene of a domestic disturbance.
Chief Anthony Barfield, 47, began having difficulty breathing at the scene and was transported to a hospital, where he later died, according to ODMP.
"He was dedicated to the city of Barwick and his family and he will be sorely missed," Barwick City Councilman Dale Hicks told WALB.
In a small town of less than 400, Hicks said everyone knew Chief Barfield, who they referred to as Tony.
“Everybody knows everybody and Tony was about as much family to us as one of our own," said Hicks.
Barfield was appointed Chief in 2009 and served as an officer for 20 years.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house