Off-duty cop killed aiding motorist
One officer was killed and and other was critically injured and lost his leg in the collision
By PoliceOne Staff
SAN ANTONIO, Texas — An off-duty officer who was heading on a hunting trip with a colleague died Saturday night after being struck by a vehicle while aiding stranded motorists.
Patrol Officers Larry Candelari, and Mike Huffman, both 49, pulled over to offer help when an 18-wheeler swerved, hitting the vehicles on the side of the road, according to ABC 13.
Candelari was killed and Huffman lost a leg in the collision and was in critical condition. At least four other people were reported injured in the crash, according to the Kerrville Daily Times.
A witness said most, if not all three vehicles that had pulled over to render aid, had their hazard lights on, and that the driver of the 18-wheeler did not hit his breaks until he hit vehicles.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman