NY town mourns death of young off-duty cop
Frederick Garrasi III had only been on the force for 2 years when he was hit by a vehicle on his motorcycle
By PoliceOne Staff
HAMBURG, N.Y. — An off-duty cop travelling on his motorcycle Friday afternoon was killed when he was struck by a vehicle.
Frederick Garrasi III, 24, had only just joined the Evans Police Department full-time in February after working part-time starting in 2011, according to WIVB4.
The small department of 20 was deeply saddened by Garrasi’s death, decorating his patrol car with memorial streamers Friday night.
About 750 people attended Garrasi’s funeral on Wednesday, including Patriot Guard riders and several hundred officers from all over the state.
"He was a great person, a lot of life, made a lot of people smile and happy," said friend Alexandria Schifano.
Evans Police Chief Ernest Masullo read parts of Garrasi’s application letter at the service, which professed his love and determination to be a cop.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic