NY town mourns death of young off-duty cop
Frederick Garrasi III had only been on the force for 2 years when he was hit by a vehicle on his motorcycle
By PoliceOne Staff
HAMBURG, N.Y. — An off-duty cop travelling on his motorcycle Friday afternoon was killed when he was struck by a vehicle.
Frederick Garrasi III, 24, had only just joined the Evans Police Department full-time in February after working part-time starting in 2011, according to WIVB4.
The small department of 20 was deeply saddened by Garrasi’s death, decorating his patrol car with memorial streamers Friday night.
About 750 people attended Garrasi’s funeral on Wednesday, including Patriot Guard riders and several hundred officers from all over the state.
"He was a great person, a lot of life, made a lot of people smile and happy," said friend Alexandria Schifano.
Evans Police Chief Ernest Masullo read parts of Garrasi’s application letter at the service, which professed his love and determination to be a cop.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman