Wash. trooper dies after collision with truck
Trooper Sean O'Connell's motorcycle collided with a truck; the accident is under investigation
Duty Death: Sean O'Connell - [Mount Vernon, Washington]
End of Service: 05/31/2013
MOUNT VERNON, Wash. — The Washington State Patrol says a 38-year-old trooper is dead after his motorcycle collided with a box truck Friday evening near the Skagit County town of Conway.
KING-TV reports that Trooper Sean O'Connell was taken to Skagit Valley Hospital in Mount Vernon, where he was pronounced dead. The collision happened shortly before 6 p.m. PDT.
The patrol says the trooper was working on traffic control related to a detour established after last week's collapse of a section of the Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River.
The cause of the crash is under investigation. However, State Patrol Chief John Batiste says the truck driver is cooperating and neither drugs nor alcohol is thought to be a factor.
O'Connell was a 16-year veteran of the State Patrol.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy