Sheriff among 5 dead from Ark. flood
Sheriff Cody Carpenter drowned while attempting to rescue two women who were trapped by the severe storm
Duty Death: Cody Carpenter - [Scott County , Arkansas]
End of Service: 05/31/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
LITTLE ROCK — The body of a Scott County sheriff was found dead Friday after Arkansas Department of Emergency Management reported the officer and a game warden missing during a flood rescue response several hours earlier.
Sheriff Cody Carpenter and Joel Campora were responding to a 911 call in the midst of severe storms that caused flooding Thursday, according to THV11, when they arrived by boat to a home with two female victims.
The bodies of the two women were also found, as well as a fifth woman who died when floodwaters overtook her car, according to ABC 8.
Keith Stephens with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said he’s certain both men had been wearing life jackets during the rescue.
Carpenter had been with the Scott County Sheriff's Office since 1997 and was elected sheriff in 2004.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests