Charges filed in Phoenix cop's hit-and-run death
It took detectives in Phoenix’s vehicular-crimes unit two weeks to put together enough evidence to charge the suspect
By JJ Hensley
PHOENIX — The arrest of Jesus Cabrera Molina on charges related to the death of a Phoenix police officer might have seemed like a foregone conclusion.
Cabrera Molina, 24, owns the SUV that police believe struck and killed Officer Daryl Raetz near 51st and Cambridge avenues more than two weeks ago, and investigators arrested Cabrera Molina on drug-possession charges less than 12 hours after Raetz was struck.
But it took detectives in Phoenix’s vehicular-crimes unit two weeks to put together enough evidence to conclude Cabrera Molina was driving the SUV when Raetz was hit. Cabrera Molina, who was formally charged late Monday with manslaughter and leaving the scene of a fatal collision, did not respond to questions as he was rushed past reporters outside Phoenix police headquarters.
Full Story: Charge filed in Phoenix officer’s death
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- Video: Ind. trooper informs drivers about 'pretty incredible' turn signal
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber
- Multiple rounds fired at Dallas patrol station