Texas officer dies following hit-and-run
Officer William Sprague succumbed to injuries sustained when he was struck by a hit-and-run driver
Duty Death: William Sprague - [Texarkana , Texas]
End of Service: 06/15/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
TEXARKANA, Texas — Officer William Sprague, 30, succumbed on Saturday to injuries sustained the previous night when he was struck by a hit-and-run driver while investigating a disturbance at a local park at approximately 0030 hours.
Officer Sprague had responded to an incident — reportedly involving approximately 100 people — and was attempting to make contact with the driver of an SUV, according to reports.
The vehicle suddenly accelerated, struck Officer Sprague, and then fled the area. The subject who struck Officer Sprague was arrested the following day after being interviewed by detectives.
Sprague served with the Texarkana Police Department for two years and had previously served with several agencies in Arkansas. He is survived by his wife and 4-year-old son.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department