Officer wounded in shootout with murder suspect
The officer, the gunman, and a bystander were all wounded in the shootout
By PoliceOne Staff
ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Three were injured in a shooting in Rochester Thursday afternoon, including an officer, a passing motorist and the suspected gunman.
Sgt. Flamur Zenelovic pulled over Ralph Strong, who was wanted in a double homicide that occurred Monday, and an exchange in gunfire ensued, according to the Democrat and Chronicle.
Zenelovic, a 10-year veteran of the Rochester police, was shot multiple times. Other officers returned fire, wounding Strong, 31.
Gene McDougal was driving when the shooting occurred and was struck in the lower body. It is unclear who fired the bullet that hit him, according to the report.
The conditions of McDougal and Strong are unknown. Zenelovic is reportedly in good spirits and is expected to recover.
Strong was charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of two men, ABC 13 reports.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms