Ill. officer collapses, dies after training
Shamekia Goodwin-Badger, 33, never regained consciousness after collapsing and died 2 days later
Duty Death: Shamekia Goodwin-Badger - [Wheeling, Illinois]
End of Service: 07/27/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
WHEELING, Ill. — An officer and Army veteran died two days after falling ill during a training exercise.
Shamekia Goodwin-Badger, 33, was taken to a nearby hospital Thursday after she collapsed, and never regained consciousness, according to ABC 7. She was pronounced dead Saturday.
The Army veteran had served in Kuwait and Iraq, and joined the Wheeling Police in 2008 after serving four years as an officer with the Hawthorne Woods Police, according to the Chicago Daily Herald.
"The loss of Officer Badger has deeply shaken all members of the Wheeling Department," Chief William Benson said in a statement released today. "She was an officer who could handle any situation, displaying a calm, firm demeanor, but also one that was compassionate and understanding."
Goodwin-Badger’s cause of death has not yet been disclosed.
In lieu of flowers, the police department is accepting donations for Goodwin-Badger's daughter at Wheeling Police Benevolent, 1 Community Boulevard, Wheeling, IL, 60090.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert