Cop's widow meets man who got husband’s heart
Officer Marc DiNardo was killed during a shootout, but his heart saved a war veteran with a fatal virus
By Jeff Pegues
NEW PROVIDENCE, N.J. — Mari DiNardo counts the days since her husband passed away. Marc DiNardo was a 37-year-old father of three. The Jersey City detective was gunned down during a shootout captured on security cameras as his SWAT team moved in to make an arrest.
She is about to meet the man who is living because her husband died. His heart now beats in Don Zolkiwsky's chest.
The 70-year-old knows what it's like to be in a gun battle. He earned a Purple Heart in Vietnam. A virus destroyed his heart before he received DiNardo's.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend