Video: Mo. police rescue teen from burning car
Dash cam catches the officers dragging the teen's body from the car as firefighters arrive on scene
By Garrett Haake
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — A high speed car crash on US-24 in Independence left a 25-year-old woman dead and nearly claimed the life of her passenger, if it wasn’t for the fast action of several Independence police officers.
Police arrived at the crash site to find a car driven by 25-year-old Ashly Young engulfed in flames next to a concrete highway bridge. Armed with nothing more than a small fire extinguisher, the video shows officers making two separate efforts to pull Young’s 18-year-old passenger out of the passenger side window.
The video ends with 18-year-old Randy Alexander-Leslie lifted and dragged from the burning car just as firefighters arrived on scene.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend