Video: Mo. police rescue teen from burning car
Dash cam catches the officers dragging the teen's body from the car as firefighters arrive on scene
By Garrett Haake
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — A high speed car crash on US-24 in Independence left a 25-year-old woman dead and nearly claimed the life of her passenger, if it wasn’t for the fast action of several Independence police officers.
Police arrived at the crash site to find a car driven by 25-year-old Ashly Young engulfed in flames next to a concrete highway bridge. Armed with nothing more than a small fire extinguisher, the video shows officers making two separate efforts to pull Young’s 18-year-old passenger out of the passenger side window.
The video ends with 18-year-old Randy Alexander-Leslie lifted and dragged from the burning car just as firefighters arrived on scene.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic