P1 Photo of the Week: In memory of a 9/11 hero
This week’s photo of the week has an inspiring story behind it, sent from Chief of Police Cory Cuneo of the Administration for Children's Services in New York, NY. Sgt. Michael Curtin was a victim of the September 11 attacks, but more importantly he was a 13-year veteran of the NYPD, a Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt. who served with distinction in Operation Desert Storm, and a standout figure in the efforts following the Oklahoma bombing of the Murrah Building.
When Sgt. Curtin's body was recovered at ground zero, Chief Cuneo writes, "In true USMC fashion, Mike was one of the few guys to go tactical at the scene and when Mikes body was recovered he still had his MP5 slung across his chest and a couple of spare mags in his pocket."
Gone but never forgotten, rest in peace Sgt. Curtin.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms