Fencing coach in gear foils robbery attempt
He realized he had to react to the robbery and charged at the suspects with his épée
By Carley Gordon
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A fencing instructor foiled a robbery this week, and he was even dressed to do battle as he chased down the suspected thieves.
Franco Scaramuzza said he always tries to be aware of his surroundings, so when the crime unfolded right in front of him Tuesday in Bellevue, he knew he had one choice.
"The first thing that went through my head is somebody should do something, and that's when I got really upset and disappointed with myself, because I realized I had the opportunity to do something. And I didn't want to be a hypocrite who just tweeted about it," Scaramuzza said.
Scaramuzza then jumped out of his car, grabbed his fencing sword, called an épée, and started charging toward the suspects.
- Bizarre Beat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend