York officer dies after breaking leg during training
Const. Michael Pegg, 36, broke his leg during an annual requalification exercise, the exact cause of death is unclear
Duty Death: Michael Pegg - [York]
End of Service: 11/29/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
YORK, Canada — A York Regional Police officer passed away Friday morning in the hospital after having suffered a broken leg from a training accident more than two weeks prior.
Const. Michael Pegg, 36, broke his leg during an annual requalification exercise Nov. 12 and underwent surgery three days later, according to a police press release.
Pegg, a 10-year veteran assigned to the air support unit as a tactical flight officer, was well known throughout the force, according to the Toronto Star, and his death came as a shock to his colleagues and family.
“I don’t know what part of (the requalification exercise) specifically resulted in the injury, but we all run through the exact same training year after year,” said Const. Laura Nicolle.
The exact cause of Pegg’s death has yet to be determined.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman