Texas officer shot in head during pursuit dies
31-year-old Robert Deckard died at a San Antonio hospital, 12 days after being shot
Duty Death: Robert Deckard - [San Antonio, Texas]
End of Service: 12/20/2013
SAN ANTONIO — A San Antonio police officer shot in the head by fleeing robbery suspects has died of his injuries.
Authorities announced Friday that 31-year-old Robert Deckard died at a San Antonio hospital, 12 days after being shot during a high-speed chase.
Police Chief William McManus said in a statement that the Deckard family thanked the community for prayers and support in recent days.
Deckard's family issued a statement earlier in the week saying there was nothing more doctors could do to save the officer. His organs will be donated in the coming days.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Police arrested 28-year-old Jenevieve Ramos and 32-year-old Shawn Ruiz Puente in the shooting. The chase ensued after a convenience store robbery. Both have been charged with aggravated assault of a public servant.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert