Ill. officers honored for saving teen's life
Officers Nick Taylor and Luke Vonderheide recently received their department’s Lifesaving Medal
By Michael Smothers
Pekin Daily Times
PEKIN, Ill. — Belen Sanchez can forget about bungee jumping anytime soon.
The 16-year-old with a talent for song and dance, however, will always remember the day a neighbor and her dog, with well-trained help from two Pekin police officers and paramedics, saved her life after her heart virtually stopped.
Officers Nick Taylor and Luke Vonderheide recently received their department’s Lifesaving Medal for keeping Belen alive after she went into full cardiac arrest as she walked her own dog, Bernie, two months ago.
Full Story: Teen's life saved, police honored
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman