Tenn. officer killed in single-car crash
Eddie Maurice Hamer, 36, worked as a police officer and an animal control officer
Duty Death: Eddie Maurice Hamer - [Whiteville, Tennessee]
End of Service: 01/27/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
HARDEMAN COUNTY, Tenn. — The Whiteville community is mourning the loss of an officer after he was killed last Monday afternoon when he lost control of his vehicle.
Eddie Maurice Hamer, 36, was on-duty as an animal control officer when he crashed his vehicle and was pronounced dead on the scene, according to ODMP.
Hamer worked part-time as an animal control officer for the Hardeman County Sheriff's office and worked full time as a Whiteville police officer.
"Officer Hamer has spent countless hours serving and protecting this community as well as volunteering with the Whiteville Elementary School," a community member told WMCTV. "Our deepest sympathies go out to Officer Hamer's family."
Hamer also volunteered often at Whiteville Elementary.
"Eddie worked around the clock trying to do and provide service throughout the community. That's one thing he loved to do," said Hamer's sister, Lora Jenkins.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend