Off-duty Ohio cop killed to receive full police honors
Jose "Andy" Chavez, 26, was killed while celebrating his birthday at a bar in Fremont
FREMONT, Ohio — An off-duty Elmore police officer who was shot dead while celebrating his birthday at a Fremont bar Sunday morning will receive full police honors during his funeral services.
Visitation for Jose "Andy" Chavez, 26, will be from noon to 8 p.m. Friday at Marsh Funeral Home, 201 W. Main St., Woodville. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Woodmore High School, 633 Fremont St., Elmore. Burial will be at Westwood Cemetery in Woodville.
Officer Chavez was killed at the Last Call Bar along with Daniel Ramirez, 25, and Ramiro Sanchez, 28. A fourth man, Ramiro Arreola, 25, was shot in a shoulder but is recovering.
Igmidio "Roger" Mista, 33, a Philippine national living in Fremont, was arrested Monday by Fremont police. He remained in the Sandusky County jail Wednesday without bond on three counts of murder.
Sandusky County Coroner Dr. John Wukie on Wednesday ruled the three deaths homicides, with each shot once in the torso.
Copyright 2014 The Blade
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert