Video: Minn. man rescues cop from fiery crash
Reserve officer Paul Dial was on patrol late Wednesday night when his squad car was hit by an SUV. He was trapped inside when the squad burst into flames
By Reg Chapman
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. — Reserve officer Paul Dial was on patrol late Wednesday night when his squad car was hit by an SUV. He was trapped inside when the squad burst into flames.
Ryan Smith, 26, says he heard a loud boom and looked outside and saw an SUV on its side and a police cruiser in the ditch. He didn’t think twice or take time to put on his shoes before he ran to help save those in need.
“The lady came from around the SUV, and she said her kids were inside the vehicle,” Smith said. “At that time, I jumped on top of the vehicle and pulled her son out. He was 12, and her daughter was in there. I pulled her out.” He then lifted Officer Dial out of his cruiser before the fire got them both.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic