Miami cop killed at home will be treated as LODD
Officer Carl Patrick was found dead, in uniform, Friday
Duty Death: Carl Patrick - [Miami, Florida]
End of Service: 05/07/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
MIAMI — The Miami officer who was shot to death at home will be treated as an officer killed in the line of duty.
According to a statement by Police Chief Manuel Orosa to Local 10 News, the department will hold a fallen officer’s funeral for Officer Carl Patrick.
Officer Patrick was found dead, in uniform, Friday. He was a 25-year-veteran of the force.
Patrick’s girlfriend, Teniko Thompson, is considered a person of interest in the homicide investigation, Local 10 reported.
Thompson is not cooperating with police in the investigation, according to CBS Miami. She claims an argument last Wednesday with Patrick led to a struggle with the officer’s service weapon.
Thompson says Patrick ultimately pulled the trigger.
The Miami Herald reports that Thompson cited fear as her reason for failing to notify police about the incident for 48 hours as she drove around in a vehicle.
Thompson does not plan to attend Officer Patrick’s funeral services.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper