RI Deputy Marshal dies after struck by transit bus
Special Deputy Marshal Frank McKnight, 69, was working as a court security officer when a transit bus hit him on a crosswalk
Duty Death: Frank McKnight - [Providence, Rhode Island]
End of Service: 05/30/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
PROVIDENCE — A Special Deputy Marshal succumbed to his injuries one day after he was struck on a crosswalk by a Rhode Island Public Transit Authority bus outside of the U.S. District Courthouse in Providence where he worked.
Special Deputy Marshal Frank McKnight, 69, was a Rhode Island National Guard veteran and had served with the United States Marshals Service as a court security officer for 13 years, according to ODMP.
He was crossing the street using the crosswalk when bus driver, Katherine Gormley, 64, attempted to make a left turn and struck him.
The Providence Journal reports Gormley had 13 years of experience driving for the transit company and that it’s unclear if she was distracted.
McKnight had previously retired from the North Kingstown Police Department as a lieutenant with 25 years of service.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman