Off-duty deputy shot to death in La.
Sheriff’s deputy was shot and killed after reporting suspicious activity while mowing his lawn Monday
By PoliceOne Staff
VERMILION PARISH, La. — An off-duty sheriff’s deputy was shot and killed after reporting suspicious activity while mowing his lawn Monday.
The Advocate reports police responded to the scene and found sheriff’s deputy Allen Bares suffering from gunshot wounds.
A witness told police a gold Lexus had crashed in a ditch nearby and two men fled the area in the deputy’s truck.
Officer Bares was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.
Two suspects in the shooting — 20-year-old Quintylan Richard and 19-year-old Baylon Taylor — were arrested Tuesday morning.
“It’s a very sad day today, as we lost a veteran brother in law enforcement, a husband, a father and a child,” said Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Office Sheriff Mike Couvillon.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help