Teen last to see slain Calif. cop alive pays respects
Daveon Scott attended a remembrance ceremony for late SDPD Officer Jeremy Henwood three years to the day he was killed
By Monica Garske
NBC San Diego
SAN DIEGO — City Heights resident Daveon Scott, now 16 years old, attended a remembrance ceremony for late SDPD Officer Jeremy Henwood three years to the day he was killed.
Alongside local leaders, community members and law enforcement, Scott remembered the fallen officer and the special moment they shared minutes before Henwood was mortally wounded by a gunman in City Heights on Aug. 7, 2011.
In his final act of kindness before his death, Henwood bought cookies for Scott at a McDonald’s restaurant on Fairmount Avenue. Scott was hungry and short on change and Henwood, a total stranger, offered to buy him the cookies in a tender moment caught on surveillance tape. The two shared a smile and some small talk, with the officer telling Scott to work hard, before Henwood took off.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend