Neb. officer dies after heart attack during struggle
Sheriff Mark Hecker attempted to take the subject into protective custody when a struggle ensued
Duty Death: Mark A. Hecker - [Butler County, Nebraska]
End of Service: 08/12/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
BUTLER COUNTY, Neb. — An officer with the Butler County Sheriff’s Office died after suffering a heart attack during a struggle with a mentally ill subject.
According to ODMP, Sheriff Mark Hecker attempted to take the subject into protective custody when a struggle ensued.
He later fell ill and drove himself to a hospital. He passed away four days later on August 12th from the heart attack, according to the report.
Hecker had served with the department for 26 years.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court