Colo. officer saves woman with disabilities from house fire
A lit cigarette sparked the fire that injured both the woman and the officer who rescued her
By PoliceOne Staff
THORNTON, Colo. — A Thornton police officer arrived just in time to rescue a woman with disabilities from a raging house fire September 5, KDVR reports.
Officer Ryan Thornton was at the scene within a minute of receiving the call to assist, Thornton Police officials said. He carried the woman outside just before the room ignited.
Witnesses told KDVR Thornton “collapsed coughing” after the rescue.
The woman has Multiple Sclerosis and uses a wheelchair, her son told KDVR. She continues to receive treatment at a local hospital for burns sustained in the incident.
According to KDVR, Thornton’s lungs are burned from smoke inhalation, but he was released from the hospital Friday morning.