Video: 'Dead' deer springs from trunk, startles cop
The deer, which police thought was dead, scrambles out of the squad's trunk and runs off
KALAMAZOO, Mich. — Talk about junk in the trunk.
A public safety officer checking a suspicious car parked behind a southwestern Michigan motel early Tuesday was more than a little surprised when a deer climbed out of the trunk, stumbled onto the road and bolted into nearby woods.
TV stations WWMT, WZZM and WOOD report that the driver told Kalamazoo officer David Miller he hit the deer on the road — thought he had killed it — and was taking it home for his family to eat.
Squad car dashboard camera footage shows Miller opening the trunk, then quickly trying to close it as he spots the deer. The animal escapes from the trunk, rear first, stumbles and rolls, then dashes off.
Lt. Stacey Geik says the collision probably just stunned the deer.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house