Video: Cop stops pursuit to escort ducks to safety
The officer was pursuing a speeding driver when he noticed the family of ducks crossing the road
By PoliceOne Staff
PORTLAND, Ore. — An officer brought his pursuit of a speeding motorist to an end — to escort a duck and her ducklings safely across the road.
Officer Mark James’s dash cam video shows him slowing down after he approaches group of ducks, which are hard to see against the wet, dark asphalt. He then exits his vehicles and walks with them along the road and into a ditch that leads to a nearby stream.
"While traffic enforcement is important to save lives, running over a mama duck and her ducklings is not going to fare well for the agency,” Portland Police Bureau spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson told The Atlantic Cities.
A driver going 52 mph is a 35 zone on Monday prompted the initial pursuit.
The speeder got away, this time.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department