Ohio man who threatened police holds 'idiot' sign
Richard Dameron, 58, will stand outside a police station for 3 hours a day this week with the apology sign
CLEVELAND — A man who threatened officers in Cleveland is making a court-ordered public apology by standing near a police station with a sign describing himself as an idiot.
A judge had ordered 58-year-old Richard Dameron to stand outside a local police station with a sign bearing an apology. He began the vigil Monday and must stand outside for three hours each day for the rest of the week.
Dameron was convicted of threatening officers in 911 calls.
His public shaming isn't the first of its kind in the city. The Cleveland judge who sentenced Dameron previously made a woman wear an "idiot" sign in public for driving around a school bus.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend