Video: 'Gingerbread man' nabs traffic violators near school
The undercover officer kept his eyes out for crosswalk violators in an area where schoolchildren often cross the street
By Brian Rokos
MORENO, Calif. — Yes, that really was a 7-foot-tall Gingerbread Man — wearing sneakers — walking back and forth across Eucalyptus Avenue in Moreno Valley.
Yet the costumed deputy was invisible to most of the 13 motorists who were cited in a 50-minute span during a Riverside County Sheriff’s Department pedestrian decoy operation Thursday morning, Sept. 26.
The Sheriff’s Department had received complaints about drivers cutting off students as they crossed Eucalyptus at Running Deer Road and several times nearly striking the crossing guard. So Thursday morning at 8, five deputies on motorcycles arrived, along with Deputy Chris Gastinger, who put on the Gingerbread Man costume.
Full Story: Gingerbread Man helps nab crosswalk violators
- Bizarre Beat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house