Video: 'Gingerbread man' nabs traffic violators near school
The undercover officer kept his eyes out for crosswalk violators in an area where schoolchildren often cross the street
By Brian Rokos
MORENO, Calif. — Yes, that really was a 7-foot-tall Gingerbread Man — wearing sneakers — walking back and forth across Eucalyptus Avenue in Moreno Valley.
Yet the costumed deputy was invisible to most of the 13 motorists who were cited in a 50-minute span during a Riverside County Sheriff’s Department pedestrian decoy operation Thursday morning, Sept. 26.
The Sheriff’s Department had received complaints about drivers cutting off students as they crossed Eucalyptus at Running Deer Road and several times nearly striking the crossing guard. So Thursday morning at 8, five deputies on motorcycles arrived, along with Deputy Chris Gastinger, who put on the Gingerbread Man costume.
Full Story: Gingerbread Man helps nab crosswalk violators
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police