Fla. police dole out lottery tickets to speeders
Officers bought the tickets with their own funds to spread holiday cheer
By J.D. Gallop
MELBOURNE, Fla. — Motorists caught speeding to grandma’s house in Melbourne were greeted with a bittersweet Christmas Day surprise as officers doled out warnings and tickets alongside scratch-off lottery games.
The unique move was an added touch Melbourne police officers wanted to put on the normally quiet holiday traffic.
By 1 p.m. Christmas Day, more than 30 scratch-off game tickets were handed out to speeders and other traffic violators in a bid to spread holiday cheer while keeping the roads safe, police say.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform