Fla. police dole out lottery tickets to speeders
Officers bought the tickets with their own funds to spread holiday cheer
By J.D. Gallop
MELBOURNE, Fla. — Motorists caught speeding to grandma’s house in Melbourne were greeted with a bittersweet Christmas Day surprise as officers doled out warnings and tickets alongside scratch-off lottery games.
The unique move was an added touch Melbourne police officers wanted to put on the normally quiet holiday traffic.
By 1 p.m. Christmas Day, more than 30 scratch-off game tickets were handed out to speeders and other traffic violators in a bid to spread holiday cheer while keeping the roads safe, police say.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman