5 best moments between police and open carry advocates
By PoliceOne Staff
Last year when PoliceOne conducted a gun control survey, one of the biggest takeaways was that police encouraged civilians to be armed. Responsible open carry is not just tolerated, but encouraged by many members of the law enforcement community.
Yet many encounters with open carry advocates and police wind up tense, defensive, and often hostile. These five officers are shining examples of how to approach practitioners of open carry — often on camera and with much resistance to offer any personal information — and how to do it with respect and grace.
Knowing the ins and outs of your state's open carry laws is the first step to encountering these situations properly. Check out more tips on how to approach open carry advocates.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform