New chief in Va. city has been with PD 32 years
City manager decided to forgo an expensive and time-consuming national search and hires interim chief instead
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Virginia Beach didn't need to spend thousands of dollars searching for a passionate, straight-shooting community leader to run its police force. It already had one in interim chief Jim Cervera.
Cervera, 55, who has worked his way through the ranks of the city's Police Department for three decades, was named chief Tuesday, a surprise announcement by City Manager Jim Spore that was greeted with delight by those who have worked with the veteran cop.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: New chief in Va. city has been with PD 32 years
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help