DC police to allow Sikh beards, turbans on duty
Department became the first major metro agency in the US to permit religious items worn on the job
New Indian Express
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Sikh police officers in the American capital will be allowed to wear turbans, beards and other religious items while on the job.
The new uniform policy announced by Washington DC police Chief Cathy Lanier Wednesday makes it the first major metropolitan police department in the US to permit Sikhs to maintain their articles of faith.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: DC police to allow Sikh beards, turbans on duty
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman